Thursday, January 06, 2005

Ecstasy & Alcohol Kills Student

The combination of Ecstasy and alcohol has once again turned deadly, this time for a college sophomore in Michigan. According to the Detroit Free Press:

By 5 a.m. on New Year's Day, Keith Cholette had downed 24 beers, taken three doses of ecstasy and smoked marijuana before falling to the floor in convulsions at the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity house at Eastern Michigan University, according to police.

The 20-year-old sophomore from Taylor contorted on the floor for about 30 minutes before his fraternity brothers realized he was in trouble and put him in a cold shower, according to Ypsilanti Police Sgt. Craig Annas. When the cold water failed to revive him they called 911.

"They didn't look at it as a medical emergency at first," Annas said of the fraternity's reaction.

By 6:52 a.m. Cholette was dead.

Had his fraternity brothers called 911 immediately, Keith might still be alive today. In the teen version of my film, I provide considerable information to kids on how to recognize danger signs for both alcohol and Ecstasy, and urge them to call 911 quickly. But clearly, no one should ever consume the amount of drugs and alcohol that this young man consumed.

No comments: