Sunday, March 27, 2005

3-Year-Old Dodges GHB Death

Leaving GHB around the house is like leaving a loaded gun out, unsecured. It almost took the life of a little 3 year old girl, as reported by the Vancouver Province newspaper (subscription required).
The father of a three-year-old girl who drank from a water bottle laced with the street drug GHB has received a conditional discharge in Vancouver provincial court.

Vancouver police initially claimed the 33-year-old father of two left a water bottle containing GHB on the kitchen counter after returning home from a party last December.

The man's infant daughter found the bottle and drank from it the next morning, and at about 9 a.m. she began to choke and had a seizure.

When the father told his wife that the toddler may have had access to the drug-laced bottle, she immediately called 911.

The child was rushed to Children's Hospital, where she improved dramatically. She later showed no side-effects. ...

The man admitted making an error in judgement and has voluntarily attended family counseling.

The man pleaded guilty to the charge of unlawfully causing bodily harm. He was sentenced to 50 hours of community service, including 10 hours talking about the dangers of drugs, as part of the sentence.

GHB -- gamma hydroxybutyrate -- is used as a party drug to reduce inhibitions and sexual enhancement. It has also been called a date-rape drug.
This little girl is very lucky to be alive. Let's pray these parents change their ways, leaving drugs behind, and focusing on raising their kids right.

No comments: