Monday, October 25, 2004

DEX Death Brings Lawsuit

My next film, which I'm am trying very hard to raise funds for through the sales of my first film, will cover DXM (dextromethorphan, or "dex"), in addition to GHB and alcohol. This tragic story shows why it's so important to get the story out about the dangers of DXM:

Parents of student who died of overdose sue drug company

NEVADA, Iowa: The parents of an Iowa State University student who died in his dorm room of an accidental drug overdose have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against a North Dakota chemical company.

Michael and Diana Babicz, of Palatine, Ill., filed the lawsuit in Story County District Court earlier this month. They claim LTK Research Products of Minot, N.D., sold their son a potentially dangerous chemical over the Internet.

Michael Babicz, 22, died in October, 2002, from an overdose of dextromethorphan, an ingredient found in cough medicine. He was found dead in his dorm room. Court records said dextromethorphan can be ingested as a recreational drug and can produce hallucinations similar to LSD or ecstasy.

The lawsuit claims the company sold dextromethorphan under the guise that it was selling to legitimate researchers.

Records show that Michael Babicz, a senior, purchased dextromethorphan powder on Sept. 9, 2002, from the Web site of LTK Research Products of Minot. His body was found on Oct. 10.

No comments: